Barnett, Elva (Green)
In 1894, Elva (Green) Barnett was the second teacher, and first female teacher to be hired by Lacombe where she taught for one year and was known for not tolerating any nonsense in her classroom. The following year she traded teaching for homesteading marrying Ed Barnett, the first settler in the area and operator of a stopping house along the Calgary-Edmonton Trail. They had five children. The Barnetts relocated several times in their desire to move away from the now steady influx of new settlers to the Lacombe area.
Elva was involved in the Presbyterian church, being its sole organist for over 50 years, the Easter Star Rebekah Lodge, the UFWA and the Liberal School (secretary/treasurer). She passed away in 1963.