Scott, Jean (Harvey)
(1923 - )
Jean Annie Adams Harvey was born on April 24,1923 to James and Winifred Harvey on her parents farm in the Hillside District located about five miles southwest of Millet.
Jean had a younger sister, Phyllis, who, with her, attended the Hillside School, two miles away from their home. They walked to school as did all of the other children. Jean remembers walking to school as a “Social Skills 101” experience because as a child she surely learned very quickly what to say or do and what not to say or do when just in the company of other students.
When it came time for Jean and her sister to go to High School they attended in Millet. Upon graduation from grade twelve Jean attended the Edmonton Normal School to study to become a teacher. World War II was in progress and there was a severe teacher shortage. Before Jean completed her training she was sent to Worsley where she taught in a log school house for five months. She then returned to Normal School and completed her training to receive an interim certificate. Jean moved onto teaching at Sparling School for two years and then she taught at Millet School for three years.
On August 1, 1947 Jean Harvey and Jerry Scott were married. They had three children Janet, Ron, and Cheryl. During the time that Jean was a stay-at-home mother she took part in a number of activities. She was president of the Home and School Association for a number of years. She also took part in the Rebekah Lodge and held several positions there. During the winter Jean enjoyed curling and was President of the Ladies Curling Club for a year or so. Jean and Jerry were members of the United Church Choir for several years and Jean taught Sunday School for three years.
When Jean’s youngest daughter Cheryl started school Jean returned to teach at Millet School for another 22 years. Griffiths Scott School was named in honor of Mr. Percy Griffiths and Jean for their dedication to teaching.
Over the years Jean has been very involved in the Millet & District Historical Society. The first project was writing the “Tales & Trails of Millet”. Jean was one of the main editors of the book. The following project of the Historical Society was the John A. Smith Manor. The government built the facility and the Historical Society agreed to operate it. Jean served on the management board for ten years and when it was incorporated into the Wetaskiwin-Millet Senior Housing Agency Board she was on the board for two years. The next project for the Historical Society was the museum. At first traveling exhibits were displayed and eventually the museums own exhibits. Jean was very involved in collecting materials and designing the exhibits. The museum has continued to progress over the years and has an archives room dedicated to Jean who is the volunteer archivist. In the mid 1980’s Jean began to write the “Museum Memo” in the local paper to inform it’s readers of museum activities. In later years she wrote about the various phases of the development of Millet’s history. In observance of Millet’s 100th anniversary in 2003 she used these articles and some new ones together to publish a book entitled “From a Sign Post in a Slough”.
Jean says that she is community minded person because here parents were. She feels that Millet has always been good to her and it is important to give back to her community. The Historical Society has been very fortunate to have Jean for now for thirty-four years. She has served as the president for a total of nine years as well as the treasurer for three years, and the secretary for two years. Jean has helped her community in numerous ways and has always been there to willingly volunteer whenever she was needed.